In the spring of 2002 we returned to the hospital to carry out some repairs and adjustments. Although the systems were all working at the end of the autumn season in 2001 there had been some liquid loss from the heat storage tank. The tank base had some damage that had to be repaired. Nima had to get into the tank to fit a plastic patch and layers of sand as a base. We then fitted a bladder that we had had made up for us in the UK. Dave had then to get into the tank to fit the bladder – along with the tank being filled with water at about 01 degree centigrade! To fit the bladder all of the plumbing needed to be removed and refitted in such a way that we did not need to cut into the newly fitted bladder very often. Dave Halton and Pemba made up some new coils that could be fitted through the top access hatch along with all but two of the feed and supply pipes. I have heard of plumber call outs for a leak but I think that this is a little far!
We also had to replace one of the temporary main feed pipes with the correct item, this involved digging down to the pipe and inserting a splice. Whilst there we fitted automatic air bleed valves into the central heating system to remove the requirement to frequently manually bleed to system of air. Some work needed to carried out on one of the circuit boards of the wind turbine controller along with minor adjustments to the system.
On our return to Kathmandu we found a press conference had been arranged with the HRA. This provided us with an opportunity to tell what we had been doing and update people with the results. Sandy took the opportunity to present the HRA with an ECG machine to be used at Pheriche.